Aromatherapy Tips :
We’ve all heard about aromatherapy , be it candles, bath and body products to cleaning products in the supermarket. But have you ever wondered how you could apply essential oils to practical everyday use around the home?
Each newsletter will focus on a different Essential Oil to give you some basic information and uses for these wonderful oils.
What best oil to start with but Lavender – some call this the “Swiss Army Knife” of oils. There are so many applications and it’s gentle enough for even the most sensitive souls!
Lavender is not only revered for it’s wonderful fresh smell, but also contains antiseptic, analgesic, anti-depressant, antiviral and antibacterial properties to name a few. It is also excellent for burns; This was first discovered by the French chemist Rene Maurice Gattefosse, who whilst working in his lab, severely burnt his hand and stuck it into a nearby pot of pure lavender oil. Not only did his hand stop hurting, but the burn healed quickly and left no scar.
So here are some practical uses for this most wonderful oil around your home:
- Bites……Get bitten by mozzies? Dab some neat lavender on the bite to take away the sting and inflammation.
- Insect Repellent – mozzies don’t like the smell so it might help deter more of the pesky pests!
- Cleaning…..Lavender has antiseptic and antibacterial actions – so why not throw away your old chemical cleaners and fill a spray bottle with white vinegar with pure lavender oil to keep your surfaces germ free and smelling great.
- Bugs……Add a few drops of lavender to a ball of cotton wool and place in your cupboard to help repel those nasty bugs.
- Headaches – Lavender has an analgesic effect, some people gain relief from headaches by dabbing a few drops around the forehead.
- Laundry….Add a few drops to your wash for that clean summer smell.
These suggestions are only a fraction of the uses for this versatile oil, but it might help to get you started…..enjoy!